Under the general direction of the Director of Events, the Events Staff Member is responsible for the execution of pivotal roles at events which are at or for the Philadelphia Zoo. The Events Staff Member will coordinate with the Event Supervisor (and if necessary the Event Planner) to acquire specific event goals and accomplish them while maintaining all Zoo-wide facility policies and procedures. In addition, the Events Staff Member may interface directly with clients, internal departments, assorted vendors and corporate partners to achieve the predetermined event goals. Finally, the Events Staff Member will be responsible for various tasks and functions that support the Zoo’s mission of conservation, education and recreation through events, specifically those that market and promote the Zoo, drive guest attendance and affiliated revenue, and/or build loyalty among current Zoo visitors. A total amount of 1,200 working hours per 12 month time period is the maximum available for this position.
Essential Job Functions:
1. The primary purpose of this job position is to serve as Event Staff and assist with the execution of memorable events while portraying the Philadelphia Zoo as a world class cultural institution.
2. This position will be “On Call
” based on the schedule of Zoo Events as well as the logistical needs associated with these events. The Staff Member must be able to have a flexible work schedule as well as work nights and weekends
3. Assist with assorted event needs including, but not limited to: Registration & Hospitality, Food & Beverage, Audio/Visual, Entertainment, Transportation, Event Installation & Breakdown. These roles and positions will be pre-assigned and under the general management by the Event Supervisor (or, if necessary, the Event Planner) for each Philadelphia Zoo event.
4. Collaborate with a variety of internal departments including, but not limited to: Development, Marketing, Membership, Public Relations, Education, Conservation, Guest Relations, Facilities, IT and Animal to achieve event goals and outcomes.
5. Prior to being on-site, the Event Staff Member is responsible to obtain and review from the Event Supervisor (or, if necessary, the Event Planner) all necessary floor plans, itineraries, and client contact information, etc. so as to ensure successful workflow and smooth event logistics.
6. To interact directly with clients in an engaging and professional manner. The principal objective of all such occasions should be to assist the client while promoting the goals of the Events Department at the Philadelphia Zoo.
7. As needed, to perform basic Administrative tasks and/or office duties as defined by the Director of Events.
8. Adhere to the Standard Operating Procedures for each of the event positions with regard to professionalism, punctuality, preparedness, and attire.
9. To attentively prepare for each on-site assignment with the appropriate paperwork, charged Zoo radio, cell phone, tools, tickets, wrist bands, etc. needed to complete the assigned task.
10. Maintain a positive work atmosphere by encouraging teamwork and engaging guests while eliminating negativity and/or potential damaging conversations by addressing issues through the approved departmental chain of command: Event Staff Member to Event Supervisor to Event Planner to Event Manager to Director of Events to Chief Marketing Officer
Non-Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Events.
Knowledge and Ability Requirements:
1. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is preferred, but not mandatory
2. Demonstrated excellent organizational aptitude as well as outstanding written and oral capabilities.
3. Demonstrated ability to manage a variety of tasks and complete priorities under deadline pressure; detail orientation with a creative vision is required
4. Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain effective working relationships with peers; superior interpersonal ability; ability to work effectively with diverse personalities; tactful; mature; flexible.
5. Valid driver’s license and good driving record preferred; as well as the ability to successfully operate a golf cart.
Physical and Medical Requirements:
1. Successful completion of a post-offer medical screening, TB and drug test prior to starting.
2. No allergies related to plants or animals, which would interfere with the ability to work.
1. Successful completion of a post-offer criminal background and driving license check prior to starting.
2. Regular weekend and evening work is often required. Operating conditions may require working extended hours and work weeks of more than 40 hours.
3. Must be able to perform physical labor and carry up to 50 lbs during event set-up and breakdown. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
1. Assorted venues located throughout the Philadelphia Zoo as well as an office building without elevators.